Using screamingfrog to create a page list with SEO properties
Screamingfrog is a website crawling tool and it's one of our most used tools in our SEO work. There is a free and a paid version.
It will create a list of every page (and all other properties) on your website so you can see URLs, Page titles, Meta descriptions, Headings and more, in one place on a single report/spreadsheet.
It's free for up to 500 server calls so most sites under 100 pages should be fine, even sites up to 200 pages may be OK.
You can also run this on your competition to see what they are doing.
- Go here and download the software https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/ It's available for PC and Mac.
- Install the software and open Screamingfrog.
- Grab your website URL, add it to the top bar and click on START
- When the crawl is complete click on HTML in the right window. This shows a list of all the pages on your website.
- In the top left click on EXPORT and save the CSV file to your PC.
- Now open it in your spreadsheet application. Here's what we do:
- Save the file as a XLS or proper spreadsheet file so the changes below are saved
- Make the top row bold
- Freeze the top row
- DO THIS IN REVERSE ORDER Delete all rows after the last H1 reference. then rows N, M, F, E, D, and B
- Widen the ADDRESS, TITLE 1 and META DESCRIPTION columns so you can see the data in the cells.
- There is a lot of useful data in the columns after the H1 but for simplicity and on page SEO we are just using the columns left.
You can now se all your SEO page titles, meta descriptions and heading in one place.
Now you have an overview you can apply your keyword research to each page and create amazing ON PAGE SEO for your website.