Creating a Google Maps API
This is a short guide on how to get a Google Maps API for your website to ensure your Google Map shows correctly.
For most of us there will be no cost however that does depend on what you are using the maps for and how many views they get. You can see the FAQ's here (scroll down) https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/ or there is a pricing calculator here https://mapsplatformtransition.withgoogle.com/calculator
Google are giving us $200 a month of free usage so you will need to be doing very large volumes of map impressions to exceed this.
There is a limit of seven Google maps platforms on one Google account.
TIME REQUIRED: 8 minutes
DETAILS REQUIRED: Your Google account login and a credit card.
How to get your Google Maps API Key
- Login to your Google account. Ideally this should be the same account you have analytics, search console, my business and AdWords setup on.
- Now click here https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/ and click on GET STARTED
- Select the MAPS option and CONTINUE
- Create a new project by entering a project name, for example "mydomain.co.uk maps"
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click NEXT.
- Google will then enable the MAPS PLATFORM
- If you have not already added a billing credit card you will then get a window that says Enable billing for project "mydomain.co.uk maps". If you do already have a billing card setup and you see this message, click enable.
- Click on CREATE BILLING ACCOUNT.
- Select your country and tick the T&Cs and Email boxes, then CONTINUE
- Enter your card details and check your address etc. All the defaults are fine.
- IF THEY OFFER A FREEE TRIAL:
- Click on START MY FREE TRIAL.
- You will then get a WELCOME popup.
- Click on GOT IT.
- GETTING YOUR KEY
- Unless you already have a project setup you will need to select the drop down in the blue top bar and click on NEW PROJECT
- Give is a name you'll recognise in the future.
- Unless you are planning to have many projects just leave LOCATION as No organisation.
- Click CREATE
- Now select the new project from the notifications box or the dropdown in the blue bar.
- Click ENABLE (blue button).
- From the menu on the left click CREDENTIALS > CREATE CREDENTUIALS > API KEY
- You can restrict your key but you'll need to review the Google documentation to understand that.
- Copy the API key and save it in a document or somewhere as you will need this on your website.
- Send this to your website developer or add it to your site yourself.
- Job done.