Creating a Google Maps API
This is a short guide on how to get a Google Maps API for your website to ensure your Google Map shows correctly.
For most of us there will be no cost however that does depend on what you are using the maps for and how many views they get. You can see the FAQ's here (scroll down) https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/ or there is a pricing calculator here https://mapsplatformtransition.withgoogle.com/calculator
Google are giving us $200 a month of free usage so you will need to be doing very large volumes of map impressions to exceed this.
There is a limit of seven Google maps platforms on one Google account.
TIME REQUIRED: 8 minutes
DETAILS REQUIRED: Your Google account login and a credit card.
How to get your Google Maps API Key
- Login to your Google account. Ideally this should be the same account you have analytics, search console, my business and AdWords setup on.
- Now click here https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/ and click on GET STARTED
- Select the MAPS option and CONTINUE
- Create a new project by entering a project name, for example "mydomain.co.uk maps"
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click NEXT.
- Google will then enable the MAPS PLATFORM
- You will then get a window that says Enable billing for project "mydomain.co.uk maps"
- Click on CREATE BILLING ACCOUNT.
- Select your country and tick the T&Cs and Email boxes, then CONTINUE
- Enter your card details and check your address etc. All the defaults are fine.
- Click on START MY FREE TRIAL.
- You will then get a WELCOME popup. Click on GOT IT. It has blown me out at this stage previously and if this happens just go back and get started again and you will get to the API KEY box.
- Copy the API key and save it in a document or somewhere as you will need this on your website.
- Send this to your website developer or add it to your site yourself.
- Job done.